Set in the beautiful South Downs National Park, P.S.C. is an easily accessed, friendly training venue near Petworth, West Sussex. Our aim is to provide a place for everyone to feel welcome, from the novice to the more experienced. Using knowledge from members of the P.S.C. team and technical support from Adrian Ditcham, (designer of the London 2012 Olympic cross-country course), we have something for all.
There are a good variety of jumps and obstacles, spread across the 15 acres of the site. These range from 60cm to 90cm, using the fantastic natural undulations to enhance the flow of the course, giving a real cross country feel. A mixture of portable and permanent features, including water run through, steps, corners of varying sizes, logs, steps, ditches and new for 2019, a large water complex. In addition to these, we boast a splendid uphill, 400m training gallops; perfect for interval training to get both horse and rider fitter, or learn the principles of pace over distance at whatever level you are competing.
The course rules and equine flu vaccination policy are available at the Rules page - please familiarise yourself with them before your visit.
All individual bookings are made on line via this website, leaving you free to enjoy your trip to us knowing all the details are taken care of. We very much welcome all Pony Clubs, Riding Clubs and Riding Schools to talk to us about group training, so that we can discuss details and bulk discounts. If you are a local coach and wanting to organise sessions, get in touch using the Contact Us page to see what we can do.
If you would like to hire the gallops only, please send us a message using the Contact Us page.
P.S.C is found on the A272, just on the east side of Petworth. We have direct access off the main road, meaning driving a lorry or a trailer is easy and with our electric entrance gate, the start of your visit couldn't be simpler.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Hire of the Petworth Schooling Course is £25 per horse. If you would like to hire the gallops only, please send us a message using the Contact Us page.
The day is divided into two hour slots for ease of booking. This is not a strict time schedule as Horses don't always stick to plan!
You are in the DAY view. To make a booking, navigate to the day on which you would like to make your booking using the PREVIOUS DAY and NEXT DAY buttons. Each entry in the DAY view shows you how many horses can be booked at that time. The entry is RED if all the slots are taken. Note that bookings cannot be made more than 17 days in advance.
|8:00||No longer bookable|
|10:00||No longer bookable|
|12:00||No longer bookable|
|14:00||No longer bookable|
|16:00||No longer bookable|
Should you change your mind about your booking, please use the Contact Us page to let us know. We will move your booking to a more convenient day if we have more than 48 hours notice. Should PSC close the course for any reason, we will be happy to rearrange any bookings affected.
Our address is
You can see our location on the map below.
- All riders must wear a hat conforming to current safety standards whilst mounted.
- All riders must wear a body protector conforming to current safety standards whilst on the course.
- All riders under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- It is recommended that all riders are accompanied during their visit to P.S.C.
- No dogs are allowed on the course whatsoever.
- All accidents/ incidents/ damage, must reported to P.S.C.
- No lead rein cross country jumping allowed.
- It is expected that all those teaching/ coaching, will have the relevant insurances.
- All riders agree to 'The Disclaimer' as part of using the facilities of P.S.C.
- Enjoy yourself and tell your friends!
It is expected that all equines visiting P.S.C will have a valid vaccination record, with the most recent within a twelve month period. Anyone attending events organised by P.S.C will be asked to show the relevant documents on arrival. It is the full responsibility of owners to ensure horses and ponies are in good health before travelling.
Petworth Schooling Course do not accept any liability for any accident, loss, damage, injury or illness to any riders, horses or ponies, owners, spectators, coaches/ instructors, property, vehicles and their contents and accessories or any other person or property whatsoever, whether caused by their negligence, breach of contract or in any other way whatsoever.
Petworth Schooling Course have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of everyone who come on site. Please ensure that all users have read and understood these statements and the rules of the course (available both on line and are displayed on site) and are fully aware of their own responsibility for their safety and welfare whilst on site. If it is considered that anyone is in breach of the course rules or is generally acting in a negligent or irresponsible fashion, they may be asked to leave.
By agreeing to this disclaimer you are giving your consent to abide by any rules, signage and/ or directions given by Petworth Schooling Course or anyone acting on their behalf. It is expected that the person making the booking has made all those they are booking for, aware of this disclaimer and its intent and therefore all those who enter the site, are giving their agreement to the above terms.
Events in May
- Friday 24th - Evening XC training with Simon Luck BHSAI. £40 pp including course hire. 5pm onwards, friendly, fun XC training in small groups. Working on rhythm and position to improve your jumping experience. To book, use the Contact Us page.
- Sunday 26th Chiddingfold pony club - External hire
- Wednesday 29th Ash Place Stables Pony Club - External hire
- Friday 31st - Evening XC training with Simon Luck BHSAI. £40 pp including course hire. 5pm onwards, friendly, fun XC training in small groups. Working on rhythm and position to improve your jumping experience. To book, use the Contact Us page.
- Friday 19th Ash Place Stables Pony Club - External hire
- Friday 26th Goodwood Pony Club - External hire
- Saturday 27th to Tuesday 30th Lord Leconfield pony club camp - External hire
- Wednesday 31st Ash Place Stables Pony Club - External hire
Anyone from the area from a certain generation, will remember the original British Horse Trials course and the fun they had there. This was run by Richard and Flo for many years and was a challenging course built over the stunning Sussex countryside.
The new course is set on part of the old site, utilising the fantastic natural rises of the hill. It is designed to be both encouraging and educational, with a good variety of fences laid out to allow schooling over individual obstacles as well as linking several together. The inclusion of the grass gallops, gives the wonderful opportunity for fittening and to be able to learn pace over distance.
It is our aim to be as approachable as possible, providing a friendly and helpful venue for many. The course is available for hire by all, as well as organised groups. Should you wish to run a clinic or book for a pony club/ riding club training session, please do contact us directly to arrange dates etc. If you wish to use only the gallops, again do contact us directly.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Petworth Schooling Course